Last time we discussed your bi experiences at school, so this time let’s talk about your experiences at work. Navigating work and job hunting as a bi person can be tricky, with the added pressure and stress because your livelihood may depend on it. Feel free to talk about any and all experiences, past and present, whatever you feel comfortable sharing.
Just a note that you don’t have to share any details about your work that you don’t want. You can be as general as you like or even change some facts to prevent us from figuring out where you work/live.
Here are some questions for you but feel free to talk about any other points pertaining to the topic.
- What is the general atmosphere in your workplace? How are LGBT people viewed/is there a policy regarding LGBT people? Is there any support for LGBT employees?
- Whether closeted or not, do you feel safe, as a bi person, at your workplace?
- Were/are you out at work to anyone? If so, how did your coming out go? What were the reactions? Did anything change for you at work? How?
- How does it feel being out/not out at work? Have you experienced discrimination and/or bullying?
- Is it important for you to be out at work? Why/why not?
- If you’re not out to any of your coworkers, would you like to/are planning to come out to anyone? Why/why not?
- Do you come out to potential employers when you’re looking for a new job? If so, how? Why/why not?
- This topic will be open for 2 weeks, ending on September 20.
How this works:
- Create a new post about this topic, tag it #bitalks as the FIRST tag (after the 5th tag, it won’t show up in the tag)
- We will reblog the posts (except biphobic stuff if that arises), and quality commentary/responses as well (sometimes we miss stuff, so if you want to make sure we reblog your commentary, shoot us a message with the link to it)!
- We will create a masterpost when this topic closes and credit to tumblr usernames unless otherwise noted in your post.
- Please tag trigger warnings as necessary.
- You can also submit your #bitalks posts to Bitopia Magazine. You can do so by e-mailing them: firstname.lastname@example.org Note that you have to be at least 18 years old to do this.